Thursday, March 08, 2007


Southern Comfort

After reading one of anna's entries, I decided it was time to get myself a GFG (George Foreman Grill). I don't cook meat too often, but I like the idea of being able to grill inside and I can even make veggies on the GFG.

So last night Robby bought us some lean tenderloin steaks. We christened the new grill and complimented our steaks with mock mashed potatoes and fake fried zucchini. I cut my steak almost in half to make it about 4 oz which was 3 points. It was plenty of beef for me. I altered my zucchini recipe a little so I'll update that.

Mock Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients:
1 head cauliflower, chopped
1 tablespoon I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, Light
1 tablespoon fat free sour cream
2-3 cloves of minced garlic (I like lots of garlic)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Place chopped cauliflower in medium sized pot of boiling water. Let boil 6-8 minutes. Drain well. Place in bowl, add butter and sour cream. Mix with handheld blender/beaters or in regular blender. Add salt and pepper as you blend. After this, you might want to reheat them in the oven or microwave just a bit.

These were 2 points for the WHOLE DISH and we got 4 servings out of it. My boyfriend isn't a huge fan of cauliflower but loves mashed potatoes and he ate this stuff up! I would consider that successful.

Fake Fried Zucchini

I followed the same directions as the last entry I did on zucchini, but I only used half of the bag of shake n bake and 1/2 of a cup of Fiber One cereal I ran through the food processor. Added 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper to this mix as well. Shake n Bake gives you bags to use for the coating and these do a much better job than rolling around the pieces in a bowl. I calculated both of these items together since the cereal has so much fiber and it came to 2 points total. Is this fair to do? I used 2 1/2 zucchinis for this and we got 2 extrememely large portions which we gobbled up. I have to say, it was not quite as good as when I use straight Shake n Bake, but it if makes one large serving for one point and stretches out the mix giving me extra fiber for the day, I'll probably stick to this in the future.

My goal was really to make a super low point meal of things I like. I would rather use more points when I go out to eat since I have less control.

So to be precise, I would say this meal was 4.5 points and incredibly satisfying and filling. As I try to get enough veggies in for the day, I'm learning which ones have zero points and trying to cook with those more and more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.