Wednesday, March 07, 2007


Fake Fried Zucchini
A while back I was making Shake n Bake chicken (using Quorn fake chicken) and I had leftover mix. Instead of making my blackened okra, I coated the chopped okra in the seasoning mix and baked it. It turned out crunchy and DELISH! I am a huge fan of fried okra and honestly, I could stay away forever if I could eat my shake n bake. So after some failed zucchini coins using fish fry in the oven (my boyfriend's idea), I decided to try it with Shake n Bake and it turned out great. I've recently read a couple recipes for something similar using Fiber One cereal through a food processor. I'll add that to my mix tonight to bring the points down and stretch it out, but this is a great alternative. Here is my quick version

Ingredients:
2 small/medium zucchini's, sliced in sticks
1/2 packet of Shake n Bake of Kraft's Oven Fry (same points)
bowl of water

Directions:
Dip the zucchini slices in bowl of water
Coat them in seasoning (in a bag works best)
Place on non-stick pan
Spray with Butter or Garlic flavored fat free cooking spray, I go over the pan a couple times
If some slices look a little bare, you can sprinkle some extra mix on

Place in Oven on 400 degrees, 15 minutes, then flip and coat with more spray, another 15 minutes. I set my oven to Broil for the last 5 minutes to get them as crunchy as possible. They weren't , too salty, but they were still a little juicy on the inside and had such a good flavor. We got 3 decent sized servings from this so I would estimate 1.5 points. I wanted to eat all 3 servings!

We enjoyed the zucchini with 1/2 cup of cilantro lime rice and 1 grilled fake chicken breast (seasoned with lemon pepper, a touch of fat free italian dressing, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper)

So the entire meal was a total of 5.5 points!

No comments: