Wednesday, July 16, 2008
















Chickpea Cakes
Makes 6 servings, 2 points each.

This recipe was featured in the Houston Chronicle, but after reading it I realized I have the same recipe in my Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook. I didn’t want the spice so I left out the hot sauce and served mine on a pita with fat free sour cream, red onion, and tomato. The recipe I was given was served with salsa which sounded good, but I was craving the Greek take on this. I think next time I make this, I’ll add cilantro and parsley to the patty mix so it will be even closer to a falafel. This did come darn close though. I doubled the recipe so I have TONS of leftovers. I also only used ½ the cornmeal for coating and replaced the sour cream with fat free plain yogurt, all of this cut out 3 points which brought each patty down to 1.5 points a piece! I’d say my pita pocket was 3.5 points and certainly filling with my side salad.

Ingredients:
1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup reduced fat sour cream
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon hot sauce
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons white-cornmeal
Olive oil cooking spray

Directions:
1. In a food processor, puree the chickpeas, sour cream, garlic, cumin, salt, hot sauce, and 2 tablespoons cornmeal. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
2. Remove from fridge, form the mixture into six 3-inch patties, about ½ inch thick. Place remaining cornmeal on a place, and gently dredge the patties through to coat both sides.
3. Spray a large nonstick skillet with olive-oil cooking spray, and set over a medium heat. Add the patties, and cook until browned on the bottom, about 5-6 minutes.
4. Spray the tops of the patties with oil, then flip and cook another 5-6 minutes.

No comments: