Sunday, July 13, 2008



Vegetarian Chicken with Black Bean Sauce
Makes 4 Servings

I took this recipe from my Take-Out Tonight! cookbook by weight watchers and made it vegetarian. I've found that the stir-fry I make at home has this generic chinese flavor instead of being lemongrass chicken, black pepper chicken, etc. This was SUPER simple and reminded me how cornstarch helps the consistency in the sauce. My only complaint was that the sauce needed a little more punch, maybe a hint of chili pepper sauce next time will do the trick.


Ingredients:
4 naked veggie chicken breasts by Quorn
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
2 tablespoons black bean sauce (found in the asian section)
1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar (I used agave nectar)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
3 garlic gloves, minced
1/4 pound white mushrooms quartered (left this out and added my own because Robby isn't a mushroom fan)
1/4 pound fresh snow peas
1-2 carrots, thinly sliced

Directions:
1. Combine the chicken with 1 tablespoon of the corn starch in a medium bowl; toss well to coat and set aside. Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon of corn starch, broth, black bean sauce, soy sauce, and sugar in a small bowl; set aside.
2. Heat a nonstick wok or large, deep skillet over medium high heat until a drop of water sizzles. Swirl in the oil, then add the chicken. Stir-fry until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic; stir-fry until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms, snow peas, and carrots; stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add the broth mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens, 1-2 minutes.

Serving size is about 1 cup. This was a 5 point recipe before, but replacing it with fake chicken brought it down to 2 points, that seems crazy! I served mine with 1/2 cup of rice and some chives form my yard. Sorry about the blur on the photo, I had cornstarch goo on my lens and didn't realize until it was too late.

No comments: