Monday, March 31, 2008


Garbanzo Burgers
I used this recipe from a Heidi Swanson's book, Supernatural Cooking and modified it just a tad. I'm a carb lover and because of the way she assembles these burgers, I didn't even miss the bun.

Ingredients:
2 ½ cups garbanzo beans
¾ diced onion
1 cup chopped sprouts *(I used alfalfa)
1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 tsp fine-grain sea salt
1 tsp garlic powder
2 whole eggs, 2 egg whites
1 tbsp olive oil *(I used fat free olive oil spray)

Directions:
Combine the beans, eggs, salt, and garlic powder in a food processor and pulse until it’s the consistency of runny, yet chunky hummus. Transfer mixture into a medium bowl and stir in the onion, cilantro, and sprouts. Add the breadcrumbs and let them set for a few minutes. Heat the oil over medium in a large skillet. I used a 1/3 cup measurer to scoop the mixture from the bowl and transfer to the pan, making uniform patties. This cut out the work from forming each patty by hand. Each side should be cooked 7-10 minutes until brown. Transfer to a cookie sheet or plate and let cool at least 5 minutes. Slice each patty in half (a bit tricky) and place your fillings inside. I filled mine with tomato, cilantro, red onion, and avocado. The recipe is supposed to make 12, but I only got 8 from it, I estimated each patty to be about 3.5 points.

No comments: